«

»

Mar 22

Fixing Polycom CX700 Device Update

We are in the process of implementing OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise Edition. One thing we never got going is updating a phone device (Specifically, the Polycom CX700). Updating the software (ie, the Communicator client) worked just fine. So below are the various things I tried in order to fix the issue, which I finally did. 


In all cases, the following should work: http://<front end server>/DeviceUpdateFiles_Int/OCInterim/ENU/cpe.nbt. If it does not, check the IIS logs. Also, within IE, enable enhanced error display by unchecking the box next to “Show friendly HTTP error messages” in the Tools/Options menu. 

In reverse-order of fixes (ie, the last fix is listed first).

1. Added a MIME type to IIS for the .nbt file type

  • .nbt – binary/octet stream
  • Discovered this fix via a 404.3 error in the IIS logs

2. Debugged the status code (0x2ee7) – The Server Name could not be resolved.

  • Codes are listed here: http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2008/07/22/228.aspx
  • This launched a rash of fixes, some of which may or may not have helped.
    • Set a static mapping within WINS for front end server
    • Edited the ucupdates-r2.opensolutions.com DNS record to point to the front end host, not the pool
    • Edited the WMI entries for “InternalUpdatesDownloadURL” and “InternalUpdatesStoreURL”
      • open the WBEMTest utility and connect to rootcimv2.
      • click the Query button and enter this query:
        • select * from MSFT_SIPUpdatesServerSetting where backend='<sql server name>\ocs’
      • Double click on the line that is returned (not intuitive that you can double click)
      • Scroll down to the values listed above and changed them from “https://<poolname>/RequestHandler/ucdevice.upx” to https://<front end server> /RequestHandler/ucdevice.upx

3. IIS Changes

  • Changed virtual directory in IIS from a DFS share to a direct share (was \domainshareupdates. Now – C:OCS SharesupdatesDeviceUpdates)

4. Client Device Filter Settings

  • Edited Client Version Filter to be: OCPhone | 1.0.522.* | >= | Allow and Upgrade | Folder: DeviceUpdates

5. Security

  • Verified all the security everywhere – within IIS, Shares, file shares, files themselves

Websites referenced throughout process:

http://theucguy.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/0x2ee70-update-error-on-old-tanjay-phone-trying-to-update-from-ocs-r2-server/

http://blogs.technet.com/ucspotting/archive/2009/03/11/troubleshooting-ocs-2007-r2-device-update-service-for-communicator-phone-edition.aspx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: